Monday, January 17, 2005

Wide Open Spaces

This last Saturday one of the other teachers and
myself went to a Belizian teacher's farm to go
horseback riding. We had heard he would be busy that
day, and offered to come another time, but he said we
were going to help him with his chores. So I spent
Saturday herding cattle on a horse! I felt very much
like a cowgirl. We rode across a river and through
some jungle, herded cows into a pen, and then helped
as he injected them with worm meds. I got to fill
syringes and inject the calves. Then we rode to
another part of the farm and herded cows accross the
farm, which was hard because the cows kept scattering.
We were on the horses for about 3 1/2 hours. I'm a
little sore today! The farm is around 300 acres, and
is gorgeous. It is such a wonderful break from the
noise and bad smells of Benque. Hopefully, now that
I'm an experienced cowgirl, I'll be able to go again
:)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I image you used a very large and strong needle to give the cows their meds. Piercing their hide must have been a little more difficult than you're used to. I read your story about picking coffee. I always wondered why we call them beans too, since they are berry. But you should notice that in Spanish no one calls them frijoles.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. I forgot to sign.

Rodnie

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home