Thursday, January 13, 2005

A Day in the Life of a Bio Teacher.....

So these last couple of days have been stretching my former standards of what is and is not acceptable in life. Yesterday, there was a commotion in class, and when I asked what was going on, my boys pointed out a medium-sized tarantula on the ceiling. By medium sized, I mean about 2.5 inches long. My response? I calmly said, "well, I'm sure you've all had tarantulas in your houses before," and then went on teaching, ignoring the comments like, "but they jump, miss!" I finished class, and then had a small, girly freak out session in the teacher's lounge, out of sight of my boys. One of the guy teachers got it out with a broom after school. Then, last night on of the seminarians asked me if I wanted a pigeon that had gotten in the church. It had a broken wing or something, and I think he thought I might be able to help it. (I seem to have gotten that reputation). Anyways, I was quite excited, because my boys have been having a lot of trouble with the digestive system, and I was unable to locate anything acceptable to dissect up to that point. So I got the pigeon, still alive. Father Dan said his opinion of me shot way up when he found out I was going to dissect the pigeon, not heal it. Anyways, I didn't actually have to kill or dissect the pigeon on my own. One of the Belizian teachers used to teach Biology, so he killed it and did most of the dissection. The boys seemed to like it, and I definitely learned a lot. And it wasn't quite as gory as I was expecting it to be. Some of the teachers still can't believe that we killed a pigeon, but it's not like we can order preserved frogs from some company, so you work with what you can get :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Cathleen:
Just caught up on your most recent posts - tarantulas rarely kill anybody, but their bites are painful. Glad you didn't lose it in front of the class - teachers aren't supposed to EVER show fear - they are supposed to instill it! (Har Har!). Also, read your earlier comment about being relieved to only have two classes a day instead of three. How would you like to have five classes (three different preparations), homeroom, cafeteria duty, hall patrol, and a study hall? Welcome to the world of education, kiddo....

Uncle Ed

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home