Monday, November 08, 2004

Ah, teaching...

This morning while we were walking to school, one of
the other teachers asked me if I was ready for my
classes today. I had to pause, because I realized I
never am ready-- I can be prepared, but my kids come
up with new, random things every day that suprise me
every time. So I thought I'd share some of the weird
little things that my students do.
- the other day, my kids told me they couldn't
understand me because I talk in paragraphs. I still
haven't quite figured out what they mean. One of
their other teachers has an English accent, and they
claim not to understand him because he speaks in
cursive.
-I am teaching my freshman girls about temperature,
and we started on the Kelvin scale. They all giggle
when I talk about it, because here Kelvin is a common
guy's name. Who knew?
-I have a couple biology classes who never fail to
amaze me. A couple of times I have turned around from
the board to catch them in the act of removing the
sink from the lab bench. I don't really know what
they plan on doing with it... There is one really
tiny boy nicknamed Chucky who is a tough little
terror- he constantly picks on the other boys. They
call it "molesting"--it comes from the spanish word
molestar (sp?), which means poking or hitting, but it
always makes you pause when a students yells out,
"Miss! he is molesting me!" Anyways, Chucky has been
walking around with a post it note on his forhead that
says kiss me. Apparently it has been rather successful
for him.
-Another funny phrase the kids use is "stoning." They
yell, "Miss! he is stoning me with paper!" If someone
throws something at them...

Anyways, got to go-- pictures coming soon!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I bet they say you talk in paragraphs because you don't just say one quick sentence and then stop. You probably explain a little, and then stop. So it's longer and more paragraph-like. It's a theory!
I'm in Gaming now, visiting. It's absolutely amazing here, and it's the first day of snow!
That's funny about "molestar." I thought that was funny too, when I learned it in Salamanca.
Glad you like my blog!
Ciao!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Hehe. Chucky... What a fitting name...

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home