Tuesday, October 05, 2004

I had an interesting revelation while visiting my friend Abbie's web journal today-- I miss fall! Abbie wrote about pumpkin carving and hot apple cider, and as much as I thought I wouldn't miss cold weather, I do! Being stuck in a perpetual August gets a little old. On the other hand, I definitely have a nice tan which will be the envy of all in December!
We had a nice trip to Belize city last week for the nutrition competition. We placed 5th out of 8 teams, which I think is respectable. I'm thinking of designing a nutrition curriculum to be taught in PE, because the majority of the students have a terrible diet. It's actually mostly due to image and advertising, I think-- all the big named American junk food is really popular here. Kids drink pepsi for breakfast. This week is midterms, so I'm giving lots of tests, much to the students' despair. My strategy is to give as many grades as possible to give the kids lots of chances to bring up their grade. We'll see how well it works...
Monday was the feast of Saint Francis, so in true Franciscan spirit, my house hosted a coffeehouse. We asked each house of teachers (there are 5 houses) to prepare a skit, and surprisingly everyone did. It was a lot of fun. My house sung a song melody, where we took songs and rewrote the words. Here is one of them:

(To the tune of "My Favorite Things")
Girls in white blouses with long khaki skirts,
boys with their hair slicked and phobias of dirt,
classrooms and chalkboards and volleyball games,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Chocolate bananas and fresh-baked tortillas,
the Green Dragon in Cayo and
Belikin Beer,
Just some of the reasons why I am still here

When the dog barks,
when there's meatloaf,
when I'm feeling....Bad
I simply remember my favorite things
and then I don't feel so sad.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah yes, fall. the perfect time of year to wear socks with sandals.:) nice to see you're having a great time down there.
-matt

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathleen,

You can't let those children drink Pepsi for breakfast!

Introduce them to Coca Cola.

Nancy

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home