Friday, September 03, 2004

TGIF

This was definitely one of the longest, most challenging weeks of my life. There were so many times during the week that if someone had given me a chance to go home, I would have taken it in a second. Immersion learning definitely works, though! I have learned so much about myself. I have also discovered I am becoming one of those tough teachers I hated (and respected) so much in school! It is such an interesting transition, to go from student to teacher in such a short time. When I walk onto this campus, I suddenly become an adult. The kids call me Miss, and will actually listen when I tell them to do something! The funny thing is that many of these students are only a year or two younger then me; a few are older then me. Discipline is very important here, because the kids do not get it at home. Most of these kids are being raised by their grandparents or aunts and uncles because their parents are working in the states; they say there are more Belizians in the US then there are in Belize. I have quickly gotten a reputation as being very strict, which is great- I teach 100 students every day, and if I did not keep a tight reign on my kids, it would be a zoo. The secretaries in the office laugh when they see me coming, because I usually have a handful of things I have confiscated. The dress code is very strict, because lot of types of jewelry or colored clothing is associated with gangs. Also, in Belize there are several disrespectful noises, such as sucking your teeth or clucking your tongue--and boys will hiss at girls. I have mastered the glare, which I use a lot when I hear a noise but can't tell who made it. I send boys to the office on a regular basis, and today I assigned lines (writing "I will not be late" 50 times) to some of my homeroom boys who were late to the school Mass. Some days it is very frustrating, but once order is established I will be able to loosen up a little. You really have to be on your toes, because these kids are smart and wily! I am really enjoying watching personalities emerge, though. Already, the precocious kids have made themselves known. They are a lot of fun to teach, because they have so much energy, and so many questions! Some of my kids are super smart, so it will be a challenge to gear material towards everyone. I really appreciate the staff at this school. They are very supportive, and will back up any of your decisions, which is so important. The other teachers are a lot of fun, too. There is so much more I could write, but it looks like it is going to pour any second, so I will have to make a dash for home!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cathleen - way to go. I knew you would do an awesome job. This is such an awesome adventure for you. Way to go on the keeping up with the blog too. I will aspire to your great example while in Europe.
I got the Monastaries and Convents in Europe book yesterday, and I'll be having the October Thomas Cook Timetables shipped to my address in Salamanca once it come out. Thanks for the tips!
I've got my camera, my MP3 player, my Eurail pass (10 day 5 country select pass), my flight to London (with a window seat!), my flight from London to Valladolid (and I'll take the bus to Salamanca to there), people to stay with everywhere except Normady, and Italy....it's all coming together and I've only had a couple of frantic stressed out moments. Anyways...keep up the good work! You should email me your address so I can send you a postcard.
Adios!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Wow. My hat's off to you.

The one time I substitute taught was the hardest day of work I've EVER done because it's both mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting. So rock on! ;-)

And I promise I will be sending you a box of "school supplies."

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathleen! This is Sarah Sheldon. :)

WOW...It's crazy reading your posts...ah, the memories. I had some of the second-form boys last year, and it was certainly disasterous for me on many levels. You are smart to keep the reigns tight. If you have Marcelo Montejo- tell him Miss Sarah from religion last year says HI. Any of the other guys who were in the infamous "1E" last year would remember me too.

Enjoy St. George's Caye Day. And I think Independence Day is coming up too.

They REALLY like days off in Belize.

Peace.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home