Monday, August 30, 2004

First day of class

Well we just had our first day of classes, and it was
quite a learning experience! Lesson number one:
nothing in Belize runs on time. Assembly was supposed
to start at 7:45 am. At 8:10, it started. The periods
were all shortened, but the bells to end the periods
were inevitably 10 minutes late. My last class was
supposed to end at 1:55, but they didn't ring the bell
until 1 after 2. Basically, this means I wrapped the
lesson up several times, realized I wasn't done, and
kind of came up with things on the spot to teach. The
periods are an hour and five minutes long regularly.
This, I have discovered, is a very long time. I have
two classes of boys, with over thirty in each class.
The number is not set yet, as kids keep wandering in
during the day. My first class was pretty wild, but I
guess I managed to scare them pretty good. One of the
teachers who has them later in the day said the
students think I'm mean! I'm actually glad to start
off with that reputation, because it means they will
probably behave. My other boys class is really quiet;
it is quite a contrast. I kind of like the wild class
better because they have so much energy, and I feed
off it. My end of the day class is 36 freshmen girls.
They are very sweet and quiet. Some don't speak any
English, so it will be challenging to teach them. We
started off with an experiment testing how long
different kinds of gum's flavor lasted (winterfresh
outlasted dentyne ice, if anyone is interested). I
really will have to work to draw these girls out of
their shells, they are so shy. In other news, today
we got shelves in our house, which is very exciting.
We haven't unpacked yet because we had no place to put
stuff! We still don't have any chairs, but one of our
neighbors who works for the school said we could
borrow some of theirs! People are very generous here.
That's all for now, I need to go home and sleep :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not mean-just stern! You say 1 hour is a long time-my class will last three hours! I plan on a lot of breaks! My first class of 12 students is tomorrow night.Did anyone tell you about the wild drive to the airport we had yesterday? It took us seven hours (normally a three to four hour drive) to get there! Mapquest routed us through New York city-your Father was driving!!(someone who would never visit NY never mind drive there). Of course this was the first day of the Republican Convention and demonstrations were huge.People were sitting on sidewalks and all over in yellow t-shirts with peace and other sayings on their shirts. They were seated in yoga fashion with crossed legs and arms at right angles with peace sign with their fingers. We were held up in massive traffic jams as we made our way down 42nd street. Police were everywhere and more kept pouring in by the busload! They were on horseback, on scooters, in marked cars, in unmarked cars-they were all over. When we finally made it across town to the Queens Tunnel standing at the entrance along with police and their cars was a fully uniformed soldier with a machine gun and grenades strapped to his belt! Your Father did beautifully-we got to the airport and saw Mike off and drove home another way! History in the making! Love, Mom PS we stopped for a hot Krispy Kreme donut on the way home!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so proud! You sound like such an awesome teacher. You know, when we took care of those "heathenistic heck raisers" at Mount 2000 all the way back in freshman year, they were scared of you.

I just bought my Eurail pass (another big step taken) and I'm working on figuring out my exact itinerary....having trouble finding the Thomas Cook timetable...and I'm also looking for the convent and monastery book as well.

I can't wait - it's two weeks.

Much love, many prayers, and God bless,
moi

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathleen I emailed you go read good stuff :-)
-Emily

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home