Saturday, October 29, 2005

I feel as if I have just graduated to the next level of teacher--this week we held our first-ever (in my time) parent-teacher conferences. It was weird being the one on the other side of the desk; I have many memories of semi-nervously accompanying my parents to those events. It was definitely done Belizian style-- I had 29 parents all show up at once, some of whom did not speak English. (The day before I had asked what I was supposed to do about Spanish-speaking parents, since I don't speak Spanish. The answer: hmm, that's a good question. ) Even with those challenges, I think it went really well. It was great to meet the parents of my students, and even better because most of my girls are doing really well. It is just so nice to be able to tell parents that their daughter is a joy to have in class. I also had my first-ever teaching bureaucracy encounter. I'm planning a trip to the zoo, and had to fill out forms in triplicate and send them all over. Now, that might not seem like a big deal, but in past years teachers have been known to just hop on the public bus with their class and go. I'm planning on taking 70 kids and 7 teachers, it will be tons of fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home