Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Snapshots of Belizian Life...

Living in Belize can be really hard and really good at the same time- I thought I'd share some random events

-yesterday as I was walking home, I came about an inch from stepping on a large Tarantula- I leaped over the thing, shrieking, no doubt amusing my neighbors to no end
-there are two little girls, probably about 6 and 4 years old, who have taken a liking to me. One day in mass the older girl sat in front of me, and kept turning around and grinning at me. I don't know who they belong to (she was by herself), but I invited her to sit with me at mass. She was very attentive the whole mass, except when she fell asleep on my lap during the Homily. Now, whenever I see them in town, they start shrieking in Spanish, and run and fling themselves at me for a hug. They chatter at me in Spanish for a while, give me lots of hugs and kisses, and then go on their way. I don't even know their names!
-I found out the other day that a student of mine is absent often because her family cannot afford the bus fare. It is $1 a day, and she just saves up for a few days until she can afford to get to school again.
-I was at a local grocery store with another teacher last week, when a Mount Carmel student came in. She insisted on treating us both to sodas and popsicles, and then her family gave us a ride home. Students are so generous, even when they have so little.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Cathleen,
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying you're missionary work in Belize!! Don't feel too embaressed about the tarantula episode, if it were me, I would've done something a lot more embarrising than that! But It sounds like you've been able to find your way into the hearts of a few of the local kids, and that's great! Well, I hope you continue to have sucess in your ministree, I will keep you in my prayers, and may God Bless you!!!
Gabriel
WYD 2005

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home