Monday, September 05, 2005

I got back to Benque about a week ago, and it's gone by really fast. A lot of things have changed this year. First, we have a new pricipal, Mr David Ruiz, who is a Belizian. He's made some changes, so it wasn't quite as easy as I thought it would be to slip back into the school year. Second, the new group of teachers is quite different this year- we only have 2 new girl teachers at Mount Carmel, and 15 new guys! I'm still getting used to being the only girl at lunch or breakfast, which happens a lot, and having to sit through conversations such as the merits of Rocky I versus Rocky 2. I am only teaching two classes of biology this term, both of which are girl classes. It is quite nice, I have a lot of free time to organize my lessons and present them more creatively. I'm also thinking of volunteering at a local clinic because I have afternoons free.
Besides all the business of school, it is so good to be back. I realized how much I had missed this country on the ride from the airport-- it had just rained, and the air smelled positively wild. Sometimes you forget what nature is like when you go from airconditioned cars to stores to homes. My students from last year were so excited to see me, which felt really good. And yesterday, I became Madrecita-- godmother-- to Ethan Elijah Pott. He is adorable, and I feel so priveleged to become a part of his life. We had a beautiful, small baptism ceremony, and I added some picutes below.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Just want to report my presence on your website. I'm going to visit it often! I'm glad to read that youre comeback to Belize was nice and you feel good about it.
God bless,
zuza

3:50 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Your godchild is a cutie :-)

Glad to hear WYD was a blast.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathleen,
Nancy's baby is so beautiful! What a blessing to be her godmother.

15 new guys?? Whoa.

Still praying for you,
Sarah

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home