Friday, May 20, 2005

Yesterday myself and three other teachers traveled to a school about 15 minutes away to hold a panel discussion on pro-life topics: sex, chastity, abortion, contraception, etc. It was both discouraging and encouraging. It was discouraging because it was obvious that some if not most of the kids were not interested in what we had to say, and didn't agree with us. It was encouraging because I realized with the contrast between this school and our kids that our kids are pretty solid morally. Our students will ask tricky questions, but they know usually what the answer is because they know what is right and what is wrong. These kids didn't have that moral base. It was a great opportunity, though, and I wished I had more time, because they really needed someone to answer their questions. We got questions across the board- What happens in abortions, why is sex before marriage wrong, is contraception bad, why doesn't the Church allow divorce. One of the most encouraging questions came after I explained that condoms don't prevent the majority of sexually transmitted diseases. A boy raised his hand, and said, "then why do they tell us to use them?" I figure I can only take the little time that I have, and plant doubt about the culture of death in their minds, so they will begin asking these sort of questions.
An exciting note- Nancy, our secretary who lives across the street from us had her baby a few days ago. His name is Ethan Elijah (from the song "Days of Elijah"!!!) and I got to hold him today. He is soooo cute.
And, Sarah, you'll love this-- we've been doing Lamb's Lord's days pretty regularly down here, and one of the teachers fell in love with the "My Beloved" song. So she taught it to her class of girls, and they sung it at Mass today!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cathleen,

It's a good thing you did to teach the truth about marriage and the family. I know it can be discouraging, but even if you help one person see the truth, you have done a great deed. Keep being faithful to the gospels and little miracles will happen.

Rodnie

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathleen,

Wow. Great witness.

OH! Tell Nancy I say congratulations!!

"My Beloved" at Mass...very nice.

Still praying for you..

- Sarah Sheldon

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home